P&Z considers new LI zoning, strip mall plats
During its regular Oct. 07, 2021 meeting, the Forney Planning & Zoning Commission met to consider 903/905 E. Broad St (Oncor + corner lot), Fox Hollow Multi-Family (MF), a car wash, a retail strip mall at 548/1641, Trailhouse MF, a day care / retail plat around 7-11 at 548/741.
(watch official video)
- Held Public Hearings -
- Tabled 3-2 (McGee, Lemons nay) until next meeting an Ordinance to rezone 1.005 acres of property from General Retail district to Commercial district. The property is part of 903 E. Broad Street.
Chair. Bingham told the audience that item 4, Fox Hollow, has been withdrawn. Mr. Morgan said likely in November, would send out notices later this month.
Mr. Morgan continued his briefing: this is S.E. corner of Broad and Chestnut, currently zoned retail, as are most all lots facing Broad. Behind this lot is railroad, across which is more commercial and retail. North are SF6 lots, which are used for residential, but have been zoned retail about 20 years. Residential use may continue until a lot is changed to retail. This is related to two other requests - the same person owns property to the East along Broad, which are zoned retail, they are requesting change to Light Industrial (LI). Land Use map has no designation, current use is commercial, which is very similar to General Retail (GR). No responses to public notices, for this particular item.
Chair. Bingham asked if this request was made on principal - Mr. Morgan said property was purchased in 90s when zoned LI, zoning changed early 2000s, owner says was not informed of the change, have no records to verify. Applicant Rep Philip Wilson spoke - Chair. Bingham asked if there was a plan for the property. Mr. Wilson said commercial development is what's planned. Mr. Helm asked about intended use, some residential in the area. Mr. Wilson said existing tenant Oncor has expressed interest in the property, which uniquely has rail access, Oncor has expressed interest in that. They are a large employer for the city. Chair. Bingham said not opposed to business retention, but have nothing showing that's the plan. Mr. Wilson said the facility has been an industrial facility for almost 30 years, and being unaware of the zoning change, want to be in compliance. The 1 acre property at Chestnut will be just commercial. Mr. Helm asked what Oncor uses the facility for - keeping the power on? Ms. Lemons said she understood Oncor needs more parking; Mr. Wilson confirmed. Chair. Bingham suggested tabling the item until get renderings showing the use, especially the LI. Mr. Wilson said last year looked for money from the EDC to improve the buildings, but he did not object to tabling. Mr. Helm said doesn't want to rezone to commercial w/out knowing what is going in. Ms. Lemons asked if someone actually wants to use the property, or just trying to clear up the zoning issue - Mr. Wilson agreed no one was ready to move in. Ms. Schlensker said appreciate efforts to update and cleanup the area. Mr. McGee asked what this 1.0 acres was zoned - Mr. Wilson said 2.36 acres, they assumed was commercial, as is their adjacent property. They purchased the two tracts in one purchase in April.
There was no public input.
- Tabled 4-1 (Lemons nay) an Ordinance to rezone 1.372 acres of property from General Retail district to Light Industrial district. The property is part of 903 E. Broad Street.
Mr. Morgan said this is the eastern part of the same lot, is vacant from operation, has a large metal building, zoned retail. For the two LI requests, staff received four phone calls plus one email, in opposition, mostly from the Price family across Broad St. Comp plan does not show a use for this parcel. Mr. McGee asked about examples of LI; Mr. Morgan said distribution, warehouse, could use CUP to do manufacturing. Mr. McGee asked about LI capacity; Mr. Morgan said have a lot of growth in the gtwa area. Mr. McGee asked about 1.37 acres; Mr. Morgan said have warehouses zoned commercial, but don't have much LI zoned that way. Mr. McGee asked about car shops; Mr. Morgan said either commercial or LI, usually require a CUP.
There was no public input.
Mr. McGee asked if this was where Oncor wants to expand parking; Mr. Morgan said staff has no documents to show that.
Rep said Oncor is very interested in expanding and staying there. Ms. Lemons said it's her understanding Oncor wants more parking, would hate to lose them over parking. Mr. Helm disagreed, they are just asking for more information, something as simple as letter of intent. Mr. Wilson said they will be doing business as have been. Chair. Bingham said would love to see them expand, need to see what it is. Mr. Helm asked about the cemetery area - that's a separate owner. Chair. Bingham opined the Price family might feel better if could see some renderings. Ms. Schlensker asked if Price family knew the zoning; Mr. Morgan said they received the public notice.
- Approved an Ordinance to rezone 2.605 acres of property from General Retail district to Light Industrial district. The property is located at 905 E. Broad Street.
Mr. Morgan said this is third tract, where Oncor is. Chair. Bingham asked if this would be in line with current use; Mr. Morgan said their use is suitable for commercial or LI. However, railroad use would likely require LI, and expansion would need to meet setbacks which are relaxed in LI. It's likely variances would be required either way. Ms. Lemons asked if the owners thought for 20-30 years they were commercial or LI; Mr. Morgan said that's what the owners have stated. Ms. Schlensker asked if approving this LI would make Oncor less likely to move; Mr. Morgan didn't know. Mr. Helm said it's already in LI use, change would be appropriate.
There was no public input.
- No action on withdrawn request for an Ordinance rezoning 12.239 acres of land from Planned Development (Fox Hollow South) to a Planned Development with a base zoning of Multi-Family Residential-15 District and Neighborhood Service District. The property is located northwest of Monitor Boulevard and northeast of F.M. 741.
- Approved a Conditional Use Permit for a car wash to operate as a permitted use on 1.5 acres of land at the northwest corner of South F.M. 548 and F.M. 1641.
Mr. Morgan said zoned as Fox Hollow PD, behind this is community park, CUP required for car wash. Access is from W. side of property. The tunnel will be along TxDOT ROW, where 1641 used to go. One comment received to public notices, expressing concern about the number of car washes in the area.
Chair. Bingham asked applicant about operation hours; Mr. Scarborough said typically used during daylight hours, usually 7-8. Mr. McGee asked if this was full service - no, express wash, stay in vehicle through the 150 ft tunnel.
There was no public input.
- Approved a site plan for Quick N Clean, located at the northwest corner of South F.M. 548 and F.M. 1641.
Mr. Morgan said this is the same as the CUP item, 5,400 sq ft tunnel, parking spaces with vacuum canopy, right-in/out access to 548.
- Approved a preliminary plat for the South F.M. 548 Retail Addition, located northwest of the intersection of South F.M. 548 and F.M 1641.
Mr. Dixon said plan shows 9,975 sq ft building with parking, trees are provided. Mr. McGee asked if there was one access point; answer unknown.
- Approved a site plan for South F.M. 548 Retail, located northwest of the South F.M. 548 and F.M. 1641 intersection.
Ms. Schlensker asked how many tenants? Four - six.
- Approved a preliminary plat for the Trailhouse Park Addition, located north of E. U.S. Highway 80 and west of Trailhouse Lane.
Mr. Dixon said this if for MF development, 10.1 acres, developer must pay fee for parks.
- Approved a final plat for the Trailhouse Park Addition, located north of E. U.S. Highway 80 and west of Trailhouse Lane.
Mr. Dixon said meets requirements. Mr. Helm asked if any concerns about park fees not being paid; no.
- Approved a preliminary plat for the Fox Daycare Addition, located northeast of the intersection of South F.M. 548 and F.M. 741.
Mr. Dixon said this will be a multi-tenant retail, GR, 3 lots, 16.3 acres. Mr. Helm asked about the Daycare name - Mr. Dixon said two years ago was a request for a daycare facility, didn't go through, they haven't changed the name.
- Approved a final plat for the Fox Daycare Addition, located northeast of the intersection of South F.M. 548 and F.M. 741.
- a site plan for CHC Retail Forney, located northeast of the intersection of South F.M. 548 and F.M 741.
Mr. Dixon said this is for mutli-tenant retail strip, 14.9k sq ft building, parking, trees and shrubs. Mr. McGee asked if this connects to 7-11; it will eventually connect. Mr. McGee mentioned the problems along hwy 80 near Applebees where parking lots do not connect.
- Adjourned at about 1920.