FISD prepares for major growth, calls for a new bond package
During a special called Feb. 17, 2022 meeting, the Forney Independent School District Board met to consider plans for more growth, and approved a new bond package for 1,294 million.
- Public Comment - none.
- Approved an order calling a bond election to be held by the Forney Independent School District; making provision for the conduct of a joint election; and resolving other matters incident and related to such election.
Dr. Webber introduced members of the 2022 bond committee, who spoke to the board about their work on this bond proposal, to get ahead of the expected addition of 20,000 students in ten years. The proposed bond package is:
Elementary Education Capacity
5 elementary/early childhood schools
Claybon elementary addition
Secondary Education Capacity
4 middle/intermediate schools
The OC Phase 2
High School #3
District Facilities & Improvements
Forney Learning Academy
District-wide capital improvements
Grand Total 1,294,000,000
After the presentation, Dr. Terry thanked the committee members for the time they spent preparing for 35,000 chairs. Forney is one of the fastest growth districts. He stated the tax rate would not be affected.
- Approved a resolution relating to establishing the districts intention to reimburse itself for the prior lawful expenditure of funds relating to constructing and equipping various district improvements from the proceeds of tax-exempt obligations to be issued by the district for authorized purposes; authorizing other matters incident and related thereto; and providing an effective date.
Mr. Chase said there would be some costs before bonds are sold, this allows reimbursement for expenses.
- Approved the AIA with Gallagher Construction
Mr. Chase said need to renew, with the planned new projects. Gallagher will reduce fees by 0.5 - 0.75 % saving FISD about $4 million.
Dr. Terry said Gallagher offered the reduction of fees.
- Approved of Huckabee & Associates, inc., as an architect to provide architectural services for the 2022 bond construction program, and authorize the superintendent to negotiate and execute an amendment to the agreement with Huckabee & Associates, Inc., for middle school designs.
Ms. Morisak said need new pre-designs for this new growth.
- Approved an order calling a School Board election for positions 5, 6 and 7 for May 7, 2022.
- Approved a contract with Kaufman county for election services for the May 7, 2022 school board election.
- Approved the use of an electronic voting system only for both early voting and election day voting.
- Adjourned at 1834.